14 Nations Condemn Israel's Approval of 19 New Settlements in West Bank
Israel's approval of 19 new settlements in the occupied West Bank has drawn condemnation from 14 countries, including the UK and Canada, who say the move violates international law.
As diplomatic efforts focus on a fragile Gaza ceasefire, Israel’s government has approved 19 new settlements in the occupied West Bank, drawing swift condemnation from 14 countries, including the UK, Canada, and France. The move, they say, jeopardizes long-term peace and violates international law.
A Unified International Rebuke
In a joint statement, the group of 14 countries—which also includes Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Italy, and Japan—condemned the approval by the Israeli security cabinet. “We call on Israel to reverse this decision, as well as the expansion of settlements,” the statement read. The countries reaffirmed their commitment to a Two-State solution and their support for the Palestinians' right to self-determination.
Israel's Goal: Blocking a Palestinian State
The plan was announced on Sunday by Israel’s far-right-wing Finance Minister, Bezalel Smotrich. According to The Times of Israel, he explicitly stated the decision was aimed at preventing the establishment of a future Palestinian state. “We are stopping the establishment of a Palestinian terrorist state on the ground,” Smotrich said. He added that the Israeli government has approved for construction or retroactively legalized 69 new settlements since taking office at the end of 2022.
An Obstacle to a Two-State Solution
All Israeli settlements in the occupied Palestinian territory are considered illegal under international law. The United Nations (UN) views their expansion as a major obstacle to peace, as they leave little contiguous territory for a future independent Palestinian state. Earlier this month, the UN said the expansion had reached its highest level since at least 2017. Al Jazeera’s correspondent Nour Odeh noted that many of the newly formalized outposts are in the northeastern West Bank, an area with traditionally little settlement activity, suggesting the decisions are “strategic in nature” to entrench settler presence and take over more Palestinian land.
This content is AI-generated based on source articles. While we strive for accuracy, errors may occur. We recommend verifying with the original source.
Related Articles
Israeli airstrikes in Lebanon's Bekaa Valley killed 6 and wounded 25, marking the deadliest attacks in weeks and straining the US-brokered ceasefire agreement.
Despite a November 2024 ceasefire with Hezbollah, Israel has conducted over 10,000 attacks on Lebanon, killing at least 108 civilians including 16 children, according to UN reports.
Trump's newly formed Board of Peace faced protests and arrests during its inaugural meeting, highlighting deep divisions over Palestine policy as Jordan-Israel relations hit rock bottom
Trump's newly formed Board of Peace held its first meeting amid strong Palestinian and Jordanian rejection of US-led stabilization efforts in Gaza and the West Bank.
Thoughts
Share your thoughts on this article
Sign in to join the conversation